Wednesday 29 May 2013

Life.

First, my bad for taking, like, 40 days to post again.

Second, life. No, not "arg; life", or "oh my; life", but "okay; life". Here's my C.S. Lewis daily quote for May 21st

"The great thing, if one can, is to stop regarding all the unpleasant things as interruptions of one's 'own' or 'real' life. The truth is of course that what one calls the interruptions are precisely one's real life - the life God is sending one day by day"

This is big. It is so easy to look at any misfortune or nuisance in life as a bad thing, or even undeserved, but you know what this does? It makes you unhappy. You know why? Because you think you deserve to be happier. With that mindset I can guarantee you this: you will never get there. 

Happiness is not reached when it is the number one goal in life. Put thankfulness in it's place. Thankfulness to God for His every day mercy and grace. Thankfulness for salvation. I can't tell you the enormous difference it makes in my day when I switch from anxiety to thanksgiving. Or when I stop blaming by troubles and start counting my blessings. It's hard, though. Hardest when things get the most trying, but essential to get through. 

It's usually a Psalm that reminds me of my greatest vantage in life. Although this world can criticize, cheat, and beat me down, it only does so on a worldly level, and what is that to me? I am reminded of 1 Peter 4:12-13 "Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you; but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ's sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy."

Every moment of your life is given by God and is to be lived to His glory. Every trial and every blessing is a gift and should not be scorned in frustration; rather it should be lived in trust and joy to Christ's glory. 

1 comment: