Wednesday 16 October 2013

thoughts like Lizzie's

"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense."

-Elizabeth Bennett, Pride and Prejudice

I sorta love this phrase. It's been going through my mind a lot recently. I guess it's because my mind has been quite occupied with the vanities of this world lately. No, I'm not obsessing with my looks or wealth, I mean I have been thinking a lot about the realness of vanity. It's everywhere; literally. All is vanity, and grasping at the wind. So true. Even more true when you think you have found a good heart but then the short tempered side comes out. Or you think you have finally got a hold of your tongue when something literally slips and you are humbly reminded that you are not perfect.

What do we do about this? How do we live in a world where everything is worthless and unsatisfactory? I think what I have to keep in mind is that as soon as I am disappointed with something/someone, I am disappointed with where I thought they were. I put them/it on a pedestal and suddenly the pedestal that made has come crashing down and I can't cope.

Your (and mine, oh, so mine) displeasure with the world is a result of your own expectations and pride. If we are not aware of the worthlessness of this world in comparison to the worth of God's love, we will fall into disappointment often. If we are not so humble as to recognize our own sin and quite worthless state we will expect better from ourselves and for ourselves. The last person who is going to be happy in the world is the one who thinks they deserve satisfaction with everything and everyone in the world. Now that will never happen. So come off your high horse, or fall off. Whichever you choose.

As a little side note, what Lizzie says has to do with her frustration with people's characters and inconsistencies. (By the way that is also completely understandable. Since when did we meet a person that didn't drive us bonkers one way or the other?) What I say is that yes we are going to run into many things, actually all things that will eventually drive us crazy, but here's the nugget: you do it too. Sure Lizzie, you're mad, but you can't go climbing up on any pedestal either.

Now, how to end this? Hope. Always hope. Isn't it amazing that there is One who always forgives? Can we end our thanks knowing that we need and do receive the grace that we so often struggle to show ourselves? Let's not stop thanking; ever. The more we thank God, the less we will want out of this world, the happier we'll be in Christ. Rest in His grace.

2 comments:

  1. Such good thoughts, Lo. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. every time you call me that I miss you just a little bit more...

      Delete