Friday 10 January 2014

Five Minute Friday: silence

I did an experiment this week.

I lived headphone-less.

It was awesome.

Instead of getting my mind filled up I emptied it a little. And then I went searching.

What did I find?

A lot of thoughts. They really needed to be found, and thought out. And prayed about.

I found the need for increasing your dialogue with your Creator Lord. I've always wanted to work on that. This was totally the way to do it.

I found doing dishes and hearing the dishes really calms your soul.

Because you come to know you're alive. You have gifts. You have abilities that by God's grace you have kept throughout all your days. Through car-crashes, sporting accidents, and oh so much more that just didn't happen.

Silence. Where were you?

Right there. In front of me. I need to look more. Way more. When it's hard. And then you need to ask, "is this where it was? Well, let's try and see."

And there it was.

And so many other things.

Let's take a moment of silence. Let's talk to ourselves instead of just listening to ourselves. Let's talk with the Lord. Let's take a break from hearing about Him. Let's go praise Him. Thank Him. Ask Him.

It was a magnificent experiment. It's going to become a lifestyle. That's the way to go for me.

4 comments:

  1. "We live, in fact, in a world starved for solitude, silence and private; and therefore starved for meditation and true friendship." C. S. Lewis. Thought of that, while I read your post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read something in my book by Thomas Boston that I am doing for a book study and it reminded me of this post: "When the evil Spirit came upon Saul, he calls not for his Bible, but for music, to play it away. So many, when their consciences begin to be uneasy, fill their heads and hands with business, to divert themselves, and to gain ease at any rate." I like listening to music on my way to work and back, but sometimes I don't on purpose, and this post has encouraged me in that. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete