Tuesday 14 January 2014

Heading Downtown

I think I must be a country girl.

Downtown fascinates me.

And this is just downtown Halifax, people. We're not even talking big city here.

I can't find the cream and sugar stuff at Starbucks. What's it doing way over there?

By the way, that was the most whipped cream I have ever had on a hot chocolate.

And elevators, in 15+ story buildings. I thought I was going to faint. And all of those buttons kinda freaked me out. Thank you, lady who was also going to the 15th floor.

I was just sitting in a coffee shop on a busy street corner in the bright, cold, morning sunshine and watching people.

The rough workers just doing what they always do. Pulling out wires and bolting lampposts back together again. Then in for a coffee. Ahhh, break time.

The preppy young man with the David's Tea bag holding his tablet and other stuff. Huh, cool. I like your hat and shoes. I hope you have a good and enlightening day at the office or studio or wherever.

The eccentric girl with yellow and orange hair, red and green plaid jacket and purple flowery leggings. She looks cold. I wonder how dark was her night and how happy will her day be? Is that young man next to her going to care for her, and love her and commit to her forever? The sad reality struck me. How often is it so?

Then I see someone running. Her target? That young woman there on the other side of the road who receives a big bear hug from the running lady. I hear muffled chatter and laughter and off they go walking down the street, into the coffee shop. Those conversations are the best. Catching up. Then maybe going shopping after?

Every person that walks by is more than just what makes this street busy. They all have a story, a goal. They may be stressed about something or so excited about something that how can everyone here not see it? I didn't. I'm sorry. But then, did you see my anxious heart a moment ago? Or the happiness I feel now that it is over? Probably not. I'm going to have a good day now, but are they? Are you?

I probably could have sat there all day. It was just so fascinating, and thought-provoking, and relaxing all at the same time. Pretty much all the traffic I see every day are the chickadees taking turns at coming to the window feeder. And that's okay. It makes the city more fun.

Well, to all of you folks who made that morning so very interesting, I bid you good day. I offer my thanks. Have a blessed week.

Lauren

3 comments:

  1. I lov this! This is beautiful.
    There is something so comforting about being in the middle of a ginormious city (not that Halifax is huge but it has tall buildings) and there are so many people and it's so full of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey maybe all my adventures would teach me to proof read...

      Delete
    2. haha, no, you just make me laugh :)

      Delete