Tuesday 6 January 2015

the now



A question. 

Are you more present in planning for tomorrow or are you simply present for today? 

I know my answer. 

Most of my day is spent in the future. Will the weather permit a trip home? Will I pass that test? 

Of course one needs to plan so as not to get into a car accident or fail their course. But when it's all said and done, did those around you today get to have all of you? Were you there when they asked you a question or needed help? Were they recipients of all your love or were they simply a distraction? 

I wish away many of my days simply so I can get to the next one. How wrong is that? I think it's a mix of ungratefulness and impatience. Ungrateful for present opportunities and gifts, like that two and half hour long class and if it were only this time tomorrow I could be outside! 

Last year I read this blog post in which the writer talks about how she was going to make 2014 the year of slow. 

And as cliché as it sounds, I am setting out to make 2015 my year of slow. 

Because, if you know me. I am not slow. I have had the word klutzy attached to me from a very young age due to haste and lack of skill. 

Slow. And present now. 

2 comments:

  1. Being grateful us a great way to slow down, I've found. When you know you'll be writing down one thing you're thankful to God for today, you watch for His blessings. And live the moment a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being grateful us a great way to slow down, I've found. When you know you'll be writing down one thing you're thankful to God for today, you watch for His blessings. And live the moment a little more.

    ReplyDelete